Choose Liller Paving & Excavating’s Tar and Chip Services
Tar and chip pavement is a method of surfacing roads, driveways, parking lots, or other surfaces. Liller Paving & Excavating provides affordable tar and chip pavement services in Fort Ashby, WV, and the surrounding areas. Tarring and chipping is a cost-effective alternative to traditional asphalt or concrete paving, especially for low-traffic areas.
Tar and chip involves applying a layer of hot liquid asphalt (tar) followed by a layer of small stone chips. The hot asphalt acts as an adhesive, holding the stone chips in place and creating a durable, textured surface. Chips provide skid resistance and help to seal the pavement, protecting it from the effects of weather and aging.
Here’s an Overview of the Steps Involved in Tar and Chip Pavement:
- Preparation: Our contractors prep the surface by thoroughly cleaning it and making any necessary repairs.
- Application of Hot Liquid Asphalt: A specialized truck with a heated tank applies the hot liquid asphalt to the surface using spray nozzles or distributors. Liller Paving & Excavating spreads the asphalt evenly, typically in one or two layers.
- Spreading Stone Chips: Immediately after the asphalt application, we apply stone chips over the hot asphalt using a chip spreader. Our contractors evenly distribute the chips into the hot asphalt to ensure adhesion.
- Rolling and Compaction: A roller compacts the stone chips into the asphalt. This process helps to embed the chips and ensures a strong bond between the asphalt and the aggregate.
- Sweeping Excess Chips: Once the asphalt has cooled and set, we sweep the excess stone chips from the surface using mechanical sweepers.
- Traffic Control and Curing: During tar and chip paving, we temporarily restrict traffic for a short period to allow the pavement to harden. The exact time may vary depending on weather conditions and the type of asphalt used.
Learn the Advantages of Tar and Chip Pavement in Fort Ashby, WV
Tar and chip pavement offers several advantages for Fort Ashby, WV, customers. It is generally more cost effective than traditional asphalt or concrete paving, especially for large areas. It provides good traction, even in wet conditions, due to the texture created by the stone chips. The crack-resistant surface offers easy maintenance by reapplying a new layer of tar and chips when needed.
However, it’s important to note that tar and chip pavement may not be suitable for high-traffic areas. The stone chips can cause more noise compared to traditional asphalt surfaces. In addition, the surface may require periodic maintenance to replenish the stone chips and maintain its integrity. If you want to read more, this article from Thespruce.com talks about the pros and cons of tar and chip driveways.
For more on any of our services, call Liller Paving & Excavating at (304) 726-7292 today. Like us on Facebook to stay up-to-date our latest updates. Residents of Fort Ashby, WV, and surrounding areas can come to us for tar and chip pavement services.